Okay, here we go!
This is something that I've thought about doing for a while, but the timing has never seemed right, but with me now approaching 300 followers (whoa, could I just say, thankyou all so much!) I thought now was a good a time as ever. I have always been a little afraid of backlash from this, but over time I have realised that I have never been subject to homophobia on my blog, something I am very grateful of, and which I feel really reflects on the wonderful and open minded followers that you all are.
As most of you will know, I am in-fact gay. It's not something that I have ever hidden on my blog as I feel that I spent such a long time hiding it when I was younger, I don't ever want to do that again. However, I'm always conscious that I shouldn't constantly ram gay issues down peoples throats - you're not here to read about that, it's a beauty and lifestyle blog after all!
When I meet new people in real life and they find out that Alex is a woman, I almost always get a lot of questions. When people think of 'gay' women, there's a pre-conceived idea that I don't fit with, and people find it shocking and intriguing. Over the years I have also been a bit of a support system to some people who are coming to terms with a person who they are close to coming out of the closet; when they don't feel that they can ask that person questions, they come to me. I also know that there are a lot of people who have questions but are afraid to ask them for fear of upsetting that person, so they never ask, and never get their answers.
In light of this I have decided to put this out there and invite you to ask me anything that you might have a question about, whether it's about gay issues in general, or myself personally, as I'm always open to my followers getting to know me better. Please don't be afraid of offending me, as I have a very thick skin and I don't mind at all. If it's gay related, you can ask me whatever is on your mind.
I'm aware that some people won't like this post, and I may lose a few followers along the way, but I feel that for the benefit of even one person who has a burning question that they want to ask, it's worth it.
I thought I'd kick start things with a few bits of information about myself and gay issues in general.
- LGBT stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender - our symbol is the rainbow (amongst others).
- Some people don't like to be categorised, and some women reject the term 'lesbian' in favour of 'gay'. I personally used to dislike lesbian, but have since become much more accepting of the term. I still generally use gay though.
- I came out when I was 17, and had a very rough time. Things went very badly for me but have since improved greatly, and now things are fine.
- I had my first girlfriend when I was 15/16.
- I realised I was gay when I was 15.
- I have had 3 serious girlfriends.
- I am what is referred to as a 'femme' lesbian.
- I don't believe in gay marriage (I know this one is the shocker, it's for reasons you probably wouldn't expect)
I hope I haven't offended anyone with this post.
If you have a question that you feel is very personal or on a matter close to your heart, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.